I know it has been a while, but I haven’t really gotten any significant news in a while. The transplant team is concerned about my liver function and they want to make sure that I am healthy enough to still be considered as a candidate for kidney donation. Their original concern was a size difference in my kidneys. My left kidney (the one they normally take) is slightly larger than my right kidney and the size difference is right on the edge of the cutoff to be eligible to donate. The first reading put the percentage difference too far out of range and disqualified me, but they re-read the CT scan and the results were within the required range for donation. The current concern is that one of my liver enzymes is elevated, and I believe it is due to my gastric acid inhibitor medication that I take for acid reflux. I am expecting a call from the hepatologist to schedule an appointment for more blood work and a consult.
Sorry that I have neglected to update you on what has been going on. Dad was admitted to the hospital on the 7th of August. They decided to start him on dialysis and he is feeling much better than he was. With dialysis, the best he can expect is approximately 15% kidney function, which is way better than less than the 5% he was at near the beginning of the month. Please continue to pray that the dialysis continues to work. It is very draining, but the next day he feels much better. Right now he is having dialysis done three times a week at the local hospital, and it takes about 4 hours after he waits 30-90 minutes to be seen. He is able to drive himself to have the treatment, so that helps Mom a lot. They start training next week for in-home dialysis and the training lasts two weeks.
Thank you for your continued prayers! So my dad was admitted to the hospital today because of excess fluid buildup in his chest. The major concern is that the fluid can cause heart failure if not kept under control. They have him on an IV medication to try to help his body purge the excess fluid. Please pray that his doctors have God given guidance on all of their decisions.
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Dian Tully wrote:
Wanted to give a quick update on Phil. I had things out and bags partially packed to take Phil to the hospital last night. At one point I told him that we were going to the hospital and he said let me see how I do. His breathing was so labored I was concerned that he could not make it to the car. He had been in his recliner kind of sitting up so that he could breathe and suddenly decided he wanted to go to bed and sit up in the bed.
I turned on our Bible CD as we do every night. He listened to the Bible for about 5 minutes and I watched him begin to relax. In just a couple of minutes he decided to lay down and within another 5 minutes he fell asleep and his breathing was not labored any longer. Needless to say I kept the Bible CD on for a long time. He woke up feeling better this morning, breathing still a bit labored but certainly better than last night.
We will hear from his nephrologist this morning, the one in Atlanta and she will decide what she wants him to do. We will let you know what she decides.
Thank you for your prayers.
We give God the glory for getting him through the night.
So I just got a call from my Dad. His creatinine level is 9, which means his kidney function has declined even more. He had some chest x-rays done and they showed fluid around his lungs. Please be in prayer for him, and wisdom for his doctor to make the best decision for him.
So we made it back safely from Atlanta. The tests went well, to the best of my knowledge. I won’t have the results until sometime late next week, after the review board meets, so I will post once I know what is next. Thanks for your prayers.